Saturday, August 09, 2008

singing in the rain

August 9th reading from Springs in the Valley:


"His praise shall continually be in my mouth."
Psalm 34:1

"I heard a joyous strain -
A lark on a leafless bough
Sat singing in the rain."

I heard him singing early in the morning. It was hardly light! I could not understand that song; it was fairly a lilt of joy. It had been a portentous night for me, full of dreams that did disturb me. Old things that I had hoped to forget, and new things that I had prayed could never come, trooped through my dreams like grinning little bare-faced imps. Certainly I was in no humor to sing. What could possess that fellow out yonder to be telling the whole township how joyous he was? He was perched on the rail fence by the spring run. He was drenched. It had rained in the night and evidently he had been poorly housed. I pitied him. What comfort could he have had through that night bathed in the storm? He never thought of comfort. His song was not bought by any such duplicity. It was in his heart. Then I shook myself: The shame that a lark has finer poise than a man!
- Rev. G.A. Leichliter

"Nothing can break you as long as you sing."

12 comments:

Mimi said...

thanks for reminding me...I need to do a little "singing in the rain" myself...

Cathy said...

I love that, Saija ~
I must send it to a bird loving, music lover friend. :o) It teaches a lesson.

Maxine said...

Thanks so much for this sweet post! Cathy sent the link to me--I'm her bird loving, music lover friend. I loved this!

Susan said...

Thank you so much, Saija, for your comment about seeing my comment on The Shack blog!! How neat!! Yes, that book is amazing and I have been proclaiming that to everyone I can. In fact I just recommended it to a blog friend by e-mail the other night. It certainly makes us think outside the box!!!
Thanks again,
Susan

Deborah said...

Great post Saiga! Our Pastor recently preached a message..."If Your Not Singing, You're Sinking"

Maggie Ann said...

Thats beautiful...

passing-thru said...

Sounds like Paul and Silas singing in the jail after being beaten and thrown in a roman jail

Good Post Saija -- thanks

Catherine said...

I love that, Saija! I'm going to pass it on. :)

valerie said...

Hi Saija!
I came your way after seeing your post on my sweet friend Sita's blog.
I am needing to get ready for church but look forward to coming back to read your posts.
I love this first post.
Have an enjoyable Sunday.
Love,
Valerie

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Nature is always reminding us of what is TRULY Important!

Sita said...

What a beautiful quote, Saija...thank you for sharing part of your journey with me..and appreciate the prayer...
Love, Sita

Amrita said...

Great inspiration