Wednesday, March 16, 2005

what goes in the well ... comes up in the bucket

Image hosted by TinyPic.com


yesterday i visited one of my favourite places in our quaint little town ... the public library ... i walked in and realized that even the air permeates books ... it enveloped me like the hug from a dear friend ...

my first stop was the "what’s new" shelf ... and i was tickled to see a Francine Rivers’ book, The Priest ... i picked it up and continued my perusal for things to read ...

this year i visit the library every 3 weeks ... last year i went on a weekly basis ... this year i usually pick up 4 books ... last year i would pick up 6 books ... this year i feel refreshed and at peace with my reading material ... last year i read and read and read, yet felt empty ...

so what is the difference? this year i am trying to feed my soul, not to titillate my senses ... i’m not saying that i am reading only study books or Christian novels ... but i am choosing the secular books with more care ...

last year i just wanted to escape my life in a novel ... which is a fine "vacation" occasionally, but definitely not as a steady diet ... i left the table hungrier than when i sat down!

yet somehow i didn’t want to "see" that all i needed was just a little bit of self-discipline in the area of books, and the Lord would bless my "little bit", a whole lot!

i think i’m a slow learner in some areas of my life ... but i am still teachable ... smile ... and i think it counts in God’s eyes ...


No comments: