Sunday, March 02, 2008

understanding God

i've been thinking about my limited understanding of God's ways ... why does He supply one need quickly? yet not the other? ... why does He answer one prayer with "yes", another with "wait" and yet another with "no"? ...

all this thinking just leads me to one conclusion - maybe i should just quit trying to figure out His ways! if i could understand Him, then He wouldn't be God ... my mind is so finite, how could i possibly grasp the Infinite? i can't even fill out my own income tax forms - why would i even think i could "understand" the ways of an Eternal God?

and if i did understand ... then He wouldn't be God ... just something i made up ...

we try to put a label on Him ... a religion to contain Him ... political beliefs that we are sure He is bound to ... all that to make Him more manageable ... to fit our own way of thinking ... maybe to even make our ways seem righteous and above question ...

yup ... the more i try to understand ... the more i realize that to remain a child of His, who simply trusts that He knows what is best for me ... in all things ... that is the safest place to be ... that way i can expect the impossible, believe the unbelieveable ... and with sweet simplicity, confound the wise ...

it was all planned before time by my Heavenly Father ... who sent His Son Jesus to die for me and for you ... so that we can be redeemed - for all eternity ...

i love that sweet mystery of Faith ...

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2


10 comments:

Mari said...

Such good thoughts Saija - we try to understand him but our tiny little minds just can't do it.

Mimi said...

Saija...as much as we try to understand and second guess God... we always fall way too short...
I have to remember to give things over to God... and then to turn loose..I always find myself pulling the problem back so I can worry about it!!!
when all I have to do is keep my eyes on Him...
thank you my friend for reminding me once again....
Mimi

Felisol said...

Dear Saija,
you are a deep thinker and trig processes in my mind as well.
I tend to mean "my will be done" when I pray the Lord's Prayer.
How cheap is that!
For sure I have many unanswered questions, many whys, now that I'm looking through a glass darkly.
My Mom says "well, what good is it to get all the answers when I come to heaven, then I don't need them.
I think want we need now is some comfort, somewhere to rest our heads when the hills are too steep.
I think you've got the answer, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus."
We are trying my Mom and I, week in faith, to throw our burdens upon him.. And somehow it's helping, just to allow ourselves to speak out honest about our pains and sorrows.
Yours Felisol

Catherine said...

"i can't even fill out my own income tax forms - why would i even think i could "understand" the ways of an Eternal God?"

Hahahaha! Well said! :)

Cathy said...

Dear Saija, His ways are higher than our ways (and beyond finding out?)And He can do anything He wants to, I believe the Word says. We can only have faith and trust Him. I love the picture. Blessings and hugs ~

Susan said...

AMEN!!!!
Susan

Maggie Ann said...

Childlike faith...how I love the simplicity of God's truths. Its the only way to come to him, and the most restful experience in the world. Last night at a concert I was thinking of the book of Job on the way home. Do we know where the snow comes from...ect. God gives gifts to men & women, that although they work hard to perfect, it still is a gift from God, unexplainable in beauty or understanding really. And, to the ones who have oh I can't think of the word I want here...have limitations mentally... but sometimes God gives them extra gifts of excelling in math or just being the sweetest most loving child or adult...someone that makes the world pause and smile. *hugs*....I'm off for a nap..just a little one. My son woke me toooo early this morning to ask where the packing tape was. Being the softie I am, I got up and went to help get the boxs ready for Fed-Ex to pick up. Now its sleepy me!

Amrita said...

Farther along we 'll know about it.

jel said...

bestest thing I've heard in along time!

Saija said...

hey guys ...

i often wonder, how much more could the Lord do in my life, if i didn't limit His work by making Him a "small god" rather than the God of the Universe and God of ALL things that He is in reality ... ? i need to expand my faith ... i guess things like leo's fever, etc etc are ways to do that - to see how God works out ALL thigns for our good ...

BIG BIG ((Hugs)) all around ... saija