Monday, April 06, 2009

visit with maria ...

picture of maria taken at her L.P.N. (licensed practical nurse) grad, back in the early 90's ... a proud moment for her, since nursing is what she always wanted to do ...


i just got back from the city today ... i spent 2 days there ... half work (taking a course for the library) and half pleasure ... one of the pleasure moments was when i got to visit with maria ... it was just lovely to see her ... she has gotten so much stronger since that open heart surgery 3 weeks ago ...


the surgeon who performed the mitral valve replacement had come by to see her last week ... he said that no one on the team really thought she would make it ... she was so frail ... and this particular surgeon only does the cases that other doctors are too afraid to touch ...


the hospital that maria is in, is a catholic hospital ... they read scripture in the mornings (via the hallway speakers), included with an encouraging thought and then close with the Lord's prayer ... everything there is so different from the mega hospital she was first at ... she said that the scriptures are always so uplifting!


on thursday, maria will have to undergo another procedure ... they will be putting in a permanent dialysis line (chest area) ... so more owie's on the way ... however, she is thrilled to hear that there are folks praying for her, who have never met her ... i know it encourages her along ...


blessings sent your way!!!

13 comments:

Mari said...

I'm glad you were able to visit and I think it's great Maria is able to hear scriptures over the speakers. The hospital I worked in when I was a new nurse was also a Catholic hospital and I was able to enjoy a few of those kinds of benefits too.
I really like the picture of her!

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you got to visit Maria, Saija! God's healing Word always helps! That is a cute picture. Praying that she will be comfortable and will continue to improve.

Catherine said...

What a lovely photo! She is just beautiful.

I'm so glad to hear that she has gotten so much stronger -- that is wonderful news! I'm glad you got the chance for another visit with her, as well. I'm sure she was thrilled to see you!

Best wishes for her next procedure on Thursday. I hope it will go smoothly and without complication. I'll be praying for her.

Felisol said...

Dear Saija,
As your sorrows become mine, so do your victories.
I got tears in my eyes reading about the hospital where Maria now is. Isn't it a gift to have doctors and nurses counting with the help of the Almighty?
Just what Maria and the whole family needed.
I will of course continue to pray.
From Felisol

Amrita said...

Maria looks so sweet iin that picture.


Very happy to hear that you could visit her and that hse is recovering so well. Pray the thurs. operation will go well too.

Fred said...

Glad you had a great time. I'll be sure to put Maria on my prayer card this week for an Easter prayer. There's strength in numbers.

Crown of Beauty said...

Saija, thank you for visiting my blog despite your busy schedule. I already posted your Thankfulness Revisited post on the entry I wrote entitled Theology of Weakness. It was a good sequel to what I wrote. Praise God for how we can share our lives and His goodness with one another in blogworld.

Pat said...

What a sweet picture of Maria. It sounds like you had a really good day with her, I'm sure that helped in her healing as well as being good for you.
Please let her know that not only is she benefiting from the prayers of people she's never met, I feel like we are also benefiting while praying and believing for her healing. Everyday is a privledge to touch God on her behalf!

grammy said...

Thanks for including the picture. She has had so much happen in a short time....and now more. Well if that is what it takes to get better. Glad you got to visit with her.

Unknown said...

What a blessing to get to see your sister. And I also worked in a Catholic hospital, (same one as Mari) so I know about the scriptures too!! I does give one a sense of peace for the day.. That's so great!! I love the picture of Maria, she looks a bit like you..

Maggie Ann said...

What a beautiful happy picture of her! I'm glad to hear she is much improved. What disease does to people is heartbreaking. I must call it a day...I am such a night owl!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

golly..I have been gone a long time. I am so glad that maria is doing well. Also happy that you got to be with her..that is always good.
I am trying to get back into the blogging world. i feel like I have been out of it lately.
My knee is much better now and my operation was only 2 weeks ago.
Had bad news this morning from my brother's wife, Judy. She has been diagnosed with breast cancer. We are all upset...

Debra said...

So glad you were able to visit your sister. Prayers are continuing for her and your family. Lovely photo of her years ago.... Blessings to each of you, Debra