Wednesday, September 02, 2009

a river runs through it ...

our town sits on the banks of a very wide and fast moving river ... it is also a watery highway for all kinds of crafts ... like this float plane ...


the condos we live in, aren't the only ones that have sprung up in recent years ... the ones in the pic above were the first built in our little town .... they were almost home to us after we sold our cottage ... but with no elevator and 10 steep steps to the second floor unit we were thinking of buying, we passed on it ... the view was spectacular but the steps would have really been difficult for leo ... i'm glad we prayed much and didn't buy it just because we had no where else to move!!! the Lord was teaching us that old "patience" lesson - which i find most difficult to learn ... you would think i would have no troubles with patiently waiting since the condo He picked out for us has absolutely suited us to a T ... we even have a garage which the spiffy waterfront ones don't ... yay Lord!!!

i love the long boardwalk/dock that anchors our town beach ... most days there are fishermen at the end of the dock ... trying their luck - or just shooting the breeze ... folks from across the river use the berths to dock their boats and walk into town to do their shopping ... we did that too when we lived on the other side, took the boat into town to shop or just pick up our mail ...


our town beach is small ... but much appreciated !!! leo and i walked there yesterday (yes, leo finally got out for another walk - he had a bit of a set back over the summer, but we hope to get out more again) ... there are usually young moms sitting on the beach, picnic lunches stored in coolers on their blankets - all the while they keep their eyes on little munchkins who busy themselves with sandcastle construction - or wading in the water ... such inexpensive, wholesome entertainment for families ... if you had that type of a childhood - then you are indeed blessed!

yup ... that is the river that runs through our life here ... it's the river i ride my bike beside ... and it's the river the Lord uses to still my heart on the sad days when life seems to be only filled with much sighing and soul searching prayers - it's on those days He opens my eyes and lets me see the dancing diamonds on the water - the everyday blessings all around me ... those everyday blessings have eased my burdens and God has caressed my face, with His Fatherly hand ... i am eternally thankful to be His child ...



13 comments:

Pat said...

THis reminds me of that song, "there's a river of life flowing down through me, makes the lame to walk and the blind to see, opens prison doors sets the captives free..there's a river of life flowing down through me". How blessed you are to live in such a lovely place, water sooths the soul and quiets us. Plus, you get to witness all those parades up close and personal!

Jammie J. said...

There is something so soothing about water and it is always good to remind yourself of the ways God has taken care of you. He's got quite a track record, doesn't he?

Mari said...

I'm so happy to be seeing your area. It's beautiful and I was touched by your post!

auntibeck said...

I LOVE your town...it is so beautiful! Praise the Lord for His goodness in our lives!

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing a little bit of your surrounds. Looks lovely and very quiet :o)
Susan

Maggie Ann said...

I can't imagine taking a boat to go to town. It must be so nice to have experienced that...your own quiet part of the world. We hop in the car and off we go. Your part of the world is beautiful..and I love visiting you here in blogland. *hugs* from Maggie Ann....=) I have not been online for a couple of weeks..time flies by doesn't it! I know my pc is a time-hog so I tuned it out for a while, know what I mean...grin.

Felisol said...

Dear Saija,
You are a rare flower. Praising the Lord midst in the storm.
Pray He will lead Leo and you into smother waters.
The pair of you certainly know how to appreciate it.
I admire your gift to thank the Lord in adversity as well as in better days.
You have been through more pain that I'm capable of imagining.
And you're still singing His praise.
God bless your days and put your feet upon the firm mountain.(or board walk)
That your peace may be as the flood.
From Felisol

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That is a very charming River...And it sounds like a wonderful place to live---with Beach and Boats and such. Some of the happiest times of my life have been spent walking the beach and looking for shells by the Ocean....To live by a River must be really wonderful!

Amrita said...

A very peaceful post Saija. Your surroundings are so beautiful, clean and heavenly....lovely place .

Crown of Beauty said...

Oh how this post has touched my heart, dear Saija.

A river runs through your life... how beautifully said. And I love the pictures and the write up you did. It makes me rejoice with you through the storms of your lives. I can identify. I sense your joy and your peace.

I agree with Felisol. You are a rare gem, and I praise God for you.

Please visit my Aug 31 post when you can...there is something special there for you.

Love
Lidj

jel said...

that is soo cool !


hope all is well :)

Jammie J. said...

(mid-week hugs)

grammy said...

Beautiful place to live. Glad Leo was able to go out for a walk... and glad you have the river to lift your spirits (o: