Sunday, April 06, 2008

God was my Travel Agent!

on a bus, in Finland ...

i'm safe at condo central again - in our little town!!!! it felt wonderful to pull into our own driveway ... to see leo waiting for me at our condo door ... to be home in my husband's arms once again ... thank you Lord!

yes, thank you LORD! ... He was my Travel Agent throughout this entire time ... this trip that just happened - without weeks and weeks of planning and hours of preparation ... yet it was the most organized and blessed trip i have ever been on ... i think i will definitely rely on this Heavenly Agency again!

my heart was prepared for a trip, even before my cousin died ... i knew that i was needing a time away from my life as wife and care giver ... but i didn't want to leave leo ... i stubbornly decided that he couldn't manage without my help ... maybe even made him so reliant on me, that he thought so too!

then the call ... a man in the prime of his life - died suddenly ... with that news, God began His work as my personal Travel Agent ...

leo and i both grieved from this vast distance across the atlantic ... i so wanted to mingle my tears with that of my finnish family ... and to hold them close ... but that didn't seem a possibility ...

with God all things are possible ...

my sweet aunt Maija offerred to travel with me ... with cheaper standby rates applying ...

leo immediately encouraged me to go ... and i felt that immediate "yes" response within me ...

everything fell into place ... the folks in our little town helped with getting the mail, delivering groceries, visiting leo, delivering a home made meal or two, paying bills ... you name it, they did it!

and as for the travel ...

even though the planes were "almost full", there was always a spot for us ...
even though the time table was tricky and we had to hike what seemed like miles in frankfurt - we made the boarding calls ...
and even in strange countries, strangers became friends by lending us their cell phones to make needed arrival time confirmations ...

we did not need to worry about one detail of the trip or travel - we just kept walking in faith and the way opened up ... Praise the Lord ... and bless all you who prayed ...

i was even lent a cell phone while in Finland ... which meant leo could call me anytime, anywhere ... i never even thought of asking for a finnish cell phone - but Someone had arranged it for me - it was good to know that i could be reached 24/7 ... and leo DID call me every day ...

while in finland, the travel was arranged by family ... and i prayed that the Lord would arrange who i spent longer periods of my short visiting time with - He did all of that and more ...

coming home, all travel went just as smoothly ... right down to NO waiting time for luggage or pickups at the airports! it seemed that all doors swung open with ease ...

i only spent one night in toronto ... the last leg of the journey was supposed to happen sunday night - but i felt the need to be home on friday ... i called westjet to change the ticket ... a $40 fee was supposed to apply, however the cheerful agent told me that i didn't need to pay $40 and i would also be getting a refund - because the friday flight was much cheaper than the sunday flight!!! can you believe that? i smiled, my Heavenly Travel Agency does EXCELLENT work!

my plane coming home left toronto early and also arrived in winnipeg 20 minutes early! i got curb side pickup from family, who had stored my car in their heated garage - then i was headed home before it got dark! *smile* ...

i highly recommend God as a Travel Agent ... especially for the journey through this life ...


"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9


p.s. i will post pics of the funeral day later on ...

18 comments:

Susan said...

What a wonderful report. If only we would "let go and let God" ALL the time!!!
Susan

Pat said...

If I've ever read a story suitable for Guidepost Magazine - this post is it. I was in tears by the third paragraph just from reading the overflowing blessings that God imparts.
I totally understand what you were saying in that third paragraph about being a wife and caregiver - sometimes we care so much, we forget about our own needs and fool ourselves and others into thinking we can't take a break.
You are now home, refreshed and ready to go on where you left off. Thanks for taking us along on this journey with you!

eija said...

Sounds great - not just the trip but what it taught and gave you :)

I'm just sad we didn't meet. You didn't have time (and probably the energy either) but it didn't really matter, since I haven't been in a human-like condition this week... But maybe next time...?

Good to have you back home in the blogworld again :D

Amrita said...

great testimony of the provision and care of the Lord.

Each step I take , He goes before me!

And Leo is such a brave and loving man, so supportive, let you go even tho he needed you.So God provided help and safety for him.

You look so radiant in the photo.

Mari said...

God did a great job on your trip! I'm so happy all went well and all those prayers were answered.

Cathy said...

Oh, that is all so wonderful! I am very happy for you. It is a lesson for us also to let God be in control. Thank you for this post. And a big welcome home and hug!

Maggie Ann said...

I'm so glad you are home safe and sound. Its so good to read this post! Have to hurry away..be back later..*hugs*

Jammie J. said...

That is exactly how I felt when I went to Oklahoma in 2004. Everything fell into place God does take care of his daughters, doesn't he?

I'm so glad for you that everything worked out in a spectacular manner. When you rest in His hands, He has a tendency to do the spectacular well. :)

Of course he took care of his son, too, and that's even more wonderful because it allowed you to enjoy visiting without worrying.

(hugs)

Welcome home.

Mimi said...

Oh and God is a wonderful travel agent isn't He!!!
He knows what time we need to leave and what time we need to get there...
I am so happy for you that you decided to go...and that you have a wonderful refreshing time with your family...and your special travel agent arranged for Leo to be able to reach you whenever he wanted to...
that is such a wonderful testimony for God's goodness.
Blessings,
Mimi

Felisol said...

Dear Saija,
welcome home!
Maybe we need the Lord that much too seldom and therefore are deprived of extraordinary blessings.
I bet Leo has some good stories to tell as well.
I'm waiting my Serina back to Norway from Azerbaijan tomorrow, (not home though), and I am exited to hear her tell about the Lord's helping hand as well.
There was no cellphone coverage where she was and she fell ill, but I'm confident Our Heavenly travel agent has worked all out for the best.
Looking forwards to seeing pictures from Finland.
Yours Felisol

Ginger said...

Sounds like you had a marvelous trip, Saija. The good Lord took great care of you through the people around you. Blessings as you pick up the threads of your usual life again.

Catherine said...

I am SO glad your trip went so smoothly! Everything and everyone really did come together for you. How wonderful!

Unknown said...

My that is a huge testimony to what God can do even if we think it is impossible, what a great agent HE is!!!! I'm so glad you are home safe and all went well with Leo at home.. Welcome back

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news...so glad that the FATHER worked it all out so well for you!! Blessings on you both!!
Elizabeth

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Welcome back home!! I so agree with Pat. You should send this into Guideposts..it would be a great short story!!
I was just so thrilled when I read, "a $40 fee was supposed to apply, however the cheerful agent told me that i didn't need to pay $40 and i would also be getting a refund - because the friday flight was much cheaper than the sunday".........God is so good to HIS people.
Send this story in..Sandy

auntibeck said...

Oh my yes Saija, when God does it, it is done perfectly. Sorrow is always met with some joy and you found that on this trp. I know that your family "over there" were blessed by your presence and faith. Welcome home!

~~Deby said...

~~~You are back~~~ I am so glad and this post was great...indeed the Lord sure was your protector and the worker out of details...WONDERFUL...
Glad to have you back..
Deby

Anonymous said...

And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.

Deuteronomy 31:8