Tuesday, December 26, 2006

boxing day ...



it's boxing day in Canada ... an old British term ... most folks have the day off, except for retail ...

it was a good day here in our little town ... our first boxing day in the heart of this little community ... we watched kids walking by, pulling their sleds ... going to the town dock to do some sliding ... young couples pushed baby carriages (there is so little snow this year) ... and people have even been riding their bikes! ...

unlike the city, all the stores in town are closed ... all the stores, except for one ... when i noticed people walking to town and coming back with bags - why i put my coat on to go look see what type of Christmas deals could be had! my aunt and i met at this bargain store and we each had a few bags to lug home ... but it was fun ...

now, leo is watching junior hockey ... and i think i will read the paper ...

can you stand the excitement? *smile*

all is well with heart and hearth ... the simple blessings once again rule the day ...


There's a River of Life
I've got a river of life flowing out of me
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see
Opens prison doors, sets the captives free
I've got a river of life flowing out of me.
Spring up oh well, within my soul
Spring up oh well, and make me whole
Spring up oh well, and give to me
That life, abundantly.
~Author unknown

11 comments:

Dawn said...

Merry Christmas Saija & Leo!

Saija said...

dawn ... hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas time too!

jel said...

good day!;0>

Maggie Ann said...

Happy Boxing Day to you and Leo! We've had a great Christmas and we will get to do it over again when our J. gets here Friday. Your day sounds like the kind I like best...tranquil, with a little shopping thrown in for good measure =). And, I love your ...'river of life' song. So true, isn't it! *hugs*

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Happy Boxing Day!! Sounds like you had a great day!! Sandy

Saija said...

jel ... it was a good day! hope yours was too ... :o)

maggie ann ... cool that you get to celebrate all over again ... i love the way this time of year does make a soul slow down! *hugs* backatcha!

Sandy ... sure did ... and we did a repeat today! blessings on ya!

Linda said...

Merry Christmas, Saija and Leo!

What a beautiful, beautiful poem. Amen!

Why do they call it Boxing Day?

Terry said...

Oh Boy Saija!...I guess there were crowds and crowds of shoppers out in full force the last couple of days.
My sister, Betty got caught up in the frenzy. I guess her and Rachel were involved for about 10 hours!!
Just not my cup of tea!!
What Bernie and I did was just went out for coffee a few times.
Not that David Fishers's favorite either {Timmys}.
We went to the Macs!! Ha!!...Love Terry

Saija said...

linda ... same backatcha! :o) ... boxing day is the british term for the day after Christmas ... it was the day that the rich folk boxed up their leftovers and brought to the poor ... hence "boxing day" ... so not what a person might original think it to mean, eh?

terry ... i could just imagine the crowds in the city ... it was wonderfully peaceful here in our town ... even the stores ... :o) ... and Macs is good ... but we would have to travel over an hour to go to either place - so it's a good thing i only have 2 cups in the morning and leo doesn't drink coffee!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful posts! I found your blog while checking out others on my sister's blog roll. I'm new to the blogosphere and have been exploring. As Arnold Swartn.... would say, "I'll be back."

Saija said...

pt2006 ... so have you started your own blog yet? if so, leave the link on the comments ... :o) ... blessings!