Thursday, May 19, 2005

good-bye kerttu

Kerttu was my father's good friend, neighbour and sweet companion for over 25 years ... i was so happy that he had found someone to share his life with ... he had been alone and living a bachelor's life for many years after he and my mother divorced ...

then along came Kerttu with her positive attitude, infectious laugh and outgoing ways ... she brought stability and comfort to my wayward father's life ... she was the "spoonful of sugar" that he needed to help combat the inner turmoil that bubbled over into bouts of hard drinking ...

they were friends above all else ... they never married ... each kept their own little apartment ... side by side ...

when dad died, Kerttu respectfully gave my brother and i our space ... and we inturn tried to draw her into our circle and honoured her for cherishing our father so completely ...

the e-mail arrived unexpectantly today ... Kerttu's daughter informed me that her mother had passed away this morning ... the tears are finally clouding my eyes as i type this ... i was so surprised at first ... i had to phone my brother right away ... he hadn't heard yet ... sadness covers us ...

we all have to say good-bye to loved ones, here on earth ... my hope is that there will also be a "hello" again ... in heaven ... where Jesus awaits those who have placed their trust in His resurrection ...

so good-bye dear Kerttu ... your journey on earth is done ... and a new one begun ...

No comments: