Saturday, November 05, 2005

storms and boats ... and Jesus

But as darkness fell and Jesus still hadn’t come back, they got into the boat and headed out across the lake toward Capernaum. Soon a gale swept down upon them as they rowed, and the sea grew very rough. They were 3 or 4 miles out when suddenly they saw Jesus walking on the water toward the boat. They were terrified, but he called out to them, "I am here! Don’t be afraid." Then they were eager to let him in, and immediately the boat arrived at their destination! John 6:17-21

this was part of my bible reading this morning ... and it got me to thinking about my journey and my destination ...

what struck me about this familiar passage was how like the disciples i am! i mean really now ... i wait around for God’s will, or wait around for His help in a situation - but sometimes i just get tired of waiting!! i set off on my own ... in the most innocent of ways ... i know where He is and sometimes don’t even realize that i am putting distance between my Lord and me ... i think i’m doing ok - then wham! the storms of life hit ...

does the Lord get annoyed at me for taking off on my own? does He let me sink, as He watches from afar?

nope!

He comes to me in the storm - telling me not to fear, that He is there with me ...

the next step is up to me - do i let Him get in my boat ... or do i flounder about?

notice, when the disciples took Jesus into the boat - voila, they immediately arrived at their destination ... and it says that they were EAGER to take Him in, no more grumbling about Jesus being late ... instead their attitude was - hey let’s get Him in here with us! what a change of heart!

so i did a "heart" check of my own attitudes ... i want to make sure that Jesus is part of my journey ALL the time ... and not only part of my journey - but also my Destination ...