Sunday, January 28, 2007

africa ...

last november i posted about Jaako and his vision to help the children in malawi ... well the little guy is actually there! ... :o) ... he is distributing much needed supplies and sharing the gospel ... now that is some start for a 9 year old! his personal account can be found at hope for malawi


africa seems to be on everyone's hearts these days ... we have all heard of oprah's school that just opened up in south africa ... jaako's vision took him to malawi ... and after 4 years of careful planning and fund raising, a winnipeg teacher - along with her class - has just recently arrived in Senegal ... Lindor Reynolds (a winnipeg free press reporter) went along to document the activities ... winnipeg free press blogs/reynolds ...

yes, i know we have poor here in north america too ... but i think that the level of poverty in a third world country is something we can't truly envision - unless we go there ... i am sure that everyone's lives will be changed forever, after seeing what true need is all about ...

these are just 2 stories that i've been following lately ... just in case you want to take a peek into what some young people are up to ... i find it quite admirable.


If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one. ~Mother Teresa

11 comments:

jel said...

WOW, that is so cool,

Saija said...

jel ... i thoght so too ... it is wonderful that there are parents who support the dreams of these children ...

Jammie J. said...

didn't madonna adopt from malawi, too? can't remember now...

Saija said...

jeanette ... it was malawi that she adopted from (i googled it) ... i think it is on the west coast of africa - which is such a HUGE continent that diversity is it's middle name!

susie ... no kidding, eh ... i'm glad that there were a large group of adults that went with the group from wpg ... though maybe the kids can handle it better - kids are so adaptable!

Catherine said...

That is really great! I'm so glad to see an uplifting story today. I've been sad all day after reading about Barbaro being euthanized, and this finally made me smile.

Terry said...

I love Mother Teresa..
I remember a story once about her.
This rich man was going to give her thousands of dollars for the poor people but Mother Teresa just looked that man staight in the face and refused the money, "lest" she said to him,'You rely on that moeny to get you to heaven. It will NEVER work!"
I think that she knew the Saviour in a personal way. I am so glad that Princess Dianna met her a few months before she, the Princess was killed. I am sure that Mother Teresa told her the way of salvation!

I will go and read about Jaako...Love Terry

Saija said...

catherine ... we were so sad about barbaro too ... leo saw the story first, and told me about it ... but if barbaro was in pain - then it's good that he has gone to a "forever green pasture" ... hope the rest of your week goes by quickly!!! it is bone chilling cold here this week! brrrrrr

terry ... mother teresa was such an itty bitty woman, but cast a large shadow! blessings on ya!

Mrs. Mac said...

What an uplifting mission this young person is on. There is hope in the youth of today. Thanks for sharing

Saija said...

mrs. mac ... i thought it was great too ... i know his great-aunt & grandma - who are so proud of his vision, and say he is a little preacher in the making ...

Maiju said...

Saija!

I can't tell you how happy I am that you shared this blog with us. I'm heading to South Africa for a week to our friendship school at the end of this month. the school is very poor. When government shut down one bus line over hundred pupils had to drop their school etc. I've collected lots of pencils with me. Most of all I'm going to take myself, my interest my time for those children. I've seen how hungry children in poor countries are for adults!! I'll give all I can and rest back in home afterwards. I hope God can use me as a blessing for them.

Saija said...

maiju ... how exciting for you! WOW! i'll be looking for pictures! Lord bless you as you travel ...