Thursday, January 22, 2009

aroma therapy ...


have you ever read a familiar passage in the bible and had it POP in your brain ... seemingly new ... a life application ...

that happened to me today ... it was the scripture passage that RBC used:

"But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ’s triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume." 2 Corinthians 2:14-16 (italics mine)

i pictured this Christ-like fragrance ... coming through, being noticed - wherever we go ... even if we say nothing, just our very actions and demeanor should be a life-giving perfume ... or to those without Christ, a desire to have what we have ...

when you enter a coffee shop ... you know it's a coffee shop by the smell of coffee brewing ... with donuts thrown into the mix ... you want to sit and enjoy a cup ...

when you walk into a florist ... you know it's a flower shop by the exquisite fragrance of the many different blends of flowers ... intoxicating ... there is no mistaking where you are ...

when you walk by a garbage dump ... well you get the aroma picture ... you know what that is too!

the passage in Corinthians reminded me that as believers, there should be no doubt Who's children we are ... there may not always be opportunities to share our faith with words ... therefore, our daily actions and attitudes should be the Christ-like fragrance that pleases God and blesses man ...



13 comments:

Mari said...

I love ice smells. This puts a different twist on aroma's! Thanks!

Sita said...

Amen, Saija...there is a Jesus-aroma here...thank u...
Love, Sita

Deborah said...

Amen! Great post!
My dad used to grow scented geraniums...they aren't much to look at, but when you brush across their leaves they give off a scent...much like us...we're not much until God's hand touches us.

Pat said...

You my friend, must smell like a lush rose garden to those around you!

Cathy said...

Oh, I loved that passage, Saija. I remember a pastor saying that people can be brought under conviction around the righteous. I can't recall exactly how he phrased it. But this scripture reminded me of that. Thanks

grammy said...

Thanks I really liked that little devotional.

Felisol said...

Dear Saija,
the photo was color therapy.
beautiful.
Back in my youth I was out traveling. Came to talk with a stranger. After a short while he stopped and asked; "Are you a Christian."
Confused I mumbled ,"Why, yes, I am. How come?"
"I just could scent it," was the answer.

Long, too long, since anyone has asked a similar question.
Your post really hit me.
From Felisol

Mrs. Mac said...

This was such a nice reminder about God's presence in us and how His beauty can be seen by others when we Let Him shine in our lives.

Crown of Beauty said...

Thanks for this post, Sajia. You are very perceptive. It is all so true, what you wrote. I have also read the past four or five recent posts on your blog. I'm praying for your sister Maria. I also know what diabetes is like. My husband had it. May God's comfort be real for you and your sister.

Fred said...

I'm glad to be back. I missed reading your posts.

Mimi said...

I loved this comparison...it makes me think about how I look and smell as a christian to others when I am not aware that they are watching me...

I need to really watch it when I am upset and know that I am still emitting the exquisite fragrance of Christianity..

Maggie Ann said...

Yes, how true and we can never be reminded enough. I'm getting caught up with my blogging....at least till I get sewing another skirt! *hugs*

Let Love Grow said...

I love this passage!