Tuesday, January 13, 2009

watch for that jam ...


in this day of safe guarding ones privacy, it seems everyone has a shredder ... they are so handy ... until they get jammed!

and sometimes that jam isn't always easy to fix ...

our cheap walmart shredder had been doing it's job just fine ... until something got into one of those little chambers and just didn't want to come out ... it got a first class jam happening ...

after unplugging (duh! of course you say ... *smile* ) ... i took a knitting needle and tried to clear all the spots ...

the knitting needle was fine for the easy to get pieces, but for one little stubborn chamber it was just too large ...

so next came the straightened out paper clip ...

i went in there from every angle, considered getting a tweezer to pull out the concrete like jam ... but eventually (after forward/reverse ... more poking ... more forward/reverse) ... it gave way!

i couldn't believe how just one itty bitty chamber could cause the rest of the chambers to fail ... you'd think that the majority, would release the gunk in that lone minority ...

it got me thinking about the so called itty bitty sins in my life ... how something that i think is "nothing much" ... or "just human"... can still make the rest of my spiritual life stall and sputter and jam up ...

there is no such thing as a small sin ... sin is sin ... and we need to confess it ... and walk away from it ... to clean out the hidden crevices, so that our hearts and minds filter everything that comes through correctly ...

yup, a little inner paper jam - can create havoc ... until we clear it out with the paperclip of confession ...

may your day be jam free!


If we claim that we're free of sin, we're only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins—make a clean breast of them—he won't let us down; he'll be true to himself. He'll forgive our sins and purge us of all wrongdoing. If we claim that we've never sinned, we out-and-out contradict God—make a liar out of him. A claim like that only shows off our ignorance of God.
1 John 1:8-10 the Message


11 comments:

Cathy said...

Saija, it amazes me how you can connect things like that. That is a real truth shared.

Mari said...

Saija - that's a great application from a day to day event. It's so true!

Pat said...

I've read this over a few times today. It went right to the heart. Sometimes there is sin we don't see in our lives...the sin of omission, of growing distant. That can mucky up our inner workings too. At time it can be just as difficult to "unjam" our lives that aren't moving forward, but just staying stuck..just like your paper jam. Great post today!
How's Maria? I continue to keep her in my prayers, and was glad to read your last update.

Susan said...

I love it when the Lord speaks to us in events and occurances of every day life like this. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading your post, even before I got to your expounding on it!!!!
Lord clean every bit of gunk out of me is my prayer.
Susan

Let Love Grow said...

I love it! Reminds me of "not even a hint..." Holiness is what He calls us to - nothing short of it will do. He is Good like that...and wants that goodness for us. (HA! the word verification "code" (the little clump of letters you have to type in to leave a comment at the bottom of this box) is "exclogit" - isn't that GREAT!)

grammy said...

Thanks for the great little lesson. Do you get the message on line?

Unknown said...

This is so good as are all of your posts. No compromise when it comes to sin. We need to come clean before a Holy God!!!

Sita said...

What amazes me is that He does not wait for me to be gunk-free before He loves me, before He uses me for His glory...cause you know what, this girl's gunk is gonna take a lifetime to cleanse---so He gracefully exposes a little at a time... as much as I can handle...and I usually say "What...had no idea that was there...or I thought I had dealt with that one already..." but He lavishes grace...and I know it...because I have seen my pieces of my heart in the mirror of His Holiness...and yet, He loved me perfectly while I was yet a sinner...I pray that I allow Him to love through me that way always...
A wonderful illustration of how freedom is suddenly released when we allow Him to expose and clean and heal...but that poking is too painful at times...I look forward to that day when I see Him--gunk-free!

Maggie Ann said...

How true...and sin loves its excuses. ~~J told me that lots of children have lost ....ah, fingers in paper shredders. Terrible thought isn't it. I hope your sister is doing ok. Bless her heart, she must worry about her health a lot, never knowing what a day will bring. I'm supposed to be in bed...big trip tomorrow. Love the visit but oh those long car rides! What can't be cured must be endured. Jane Eyre on tape goes with us tomorrow. *hugs*

Crown of Beauty said...

the connection you made is so right on, and you do have the deep sensitivity to receive an important message from a jammed shredder! Your post is a reminder that God is just waiting to speak to us from the most unlikely places and situations. Thanks for sharing this practical and object lesson.

Mimi said...

perfect post for me...
I think I need to take a little straightened out paper clip to the corners and crevices of my life, and unplug the little bits of sin I hold on to at times...
thanks for the lesson